Design Concepts is seeking an experienced Interaction Designer to join us full-time in Madison, Wisconsin.
Design Concepts is a strategic design and innovation consultancy with over 50 years of experience in driving business success through the design of products and services that improve people’s lives. Our 70 multidisciplinary professionals in our Madison WI, San Francisco, CA and Boston, MA offices help clients, ranging from Fortune 500 companies to start-ups, grow their business by envisioning new opportunities and then realizing those opportunities as products and services that are exciting and commercially successful.
Interaction Designers at Design Concepts work within our cross-functional client project teams where they leverage insights about user needs to iteratively design, prototype, and test concepts for new or improved software-based products and services.
Project management (10%) Manage the budget, schedule, and deliverables for client UX/UI projects by establishing a clear vision and tactical plan for project success, defining expectations for internal/external team member contribution, and serving as the primary point of client contact during the project
Design research (5%) Support design research activities to observe people, their workflow tasks, tools, and environments to better understand the context of product use and to identify user behaviors, needs, and motivations
Information architecture (25%) Lead information architecture activities to identify how best to structure and organize information to support people finding and consuming what is most useful and relevant to them based on their workflow tasks
Interaction design (40%) Lead interaction design activities to define which method of interaction that will enable the best user experience and how the system and its interface will guide users through their workflow tasks while responding with the appropriate feedback for each process step
Visual design (10%) Contribute to visual design activities to define the concrete form and appearance of content and controls that will make the interface understandable while expressing the desired brand aesthetic and personality
Prototyping and user testing (10%) Support user testing activities by prototyping emerging design ideas for evaluation with users and to identify opportunities for improving and optimizing the design with the next iteration
- 5+ years applied experience in an interaction design or equivalent UX/UI position
- Portfolio demonstrating an understanding of information architecture, interaction design, visual design, and general interface usability principles
- Desire to work in a highly collaborative, multidisciplinary environment
- Self-motivated with the ability to work, make decisions, and manage time independently, when needed
- Ability to guide clients and internal team members through the design process and facilitate decision making
- Excellent visual, written, and verbal communication skills in both formal and informal settings
- Ability to deliver high quality work within time and budget constrained projects
- Process flexibility with a willingness to learn new methods and skills on the job
- Experience in a consulting environment with a proven customer-centric attitude and personality
- Experience designing software for a variety of platforms, including web, mobile, desktop, and embedded systems
- Experience facilitating collaborative workshops for fellow designers and non-designers alike
- Experience designing, leading, or participating in user research or usability studies
- Software prototyping or development skills