We need a creative and experienced mechanical engineer ready to take that next leadership step.
For almost 50 years, Design Concepts has delivered innovative product design solutions to our clients through strategy, research, design, engineering, and prototyping. Our portfolio includes award-winning work for companies recognized worldwide as leaders in a broad range of industries including medical device, consumer and commercial products, transportation and more. Our growing San Francisco office and shop functions with a startup mentality that is ideal for someone who likes the security of an established company but the freedom to help contribute to and create something new. Our ME heritage and our hands-on culture make this place a great spot for MEs looking to solve complex problems and create innovative solutions.
As the Studio Lead, our San Francisco engineers will report to you and use your mentorship to learn and grow. You will help Design Concepts thrive, building on the culture and work environment that support our larger company Vision, Mission and Values. This role has the underpinnings of a management role while maintaining important focus on billable work, technical excellence and project management.
Providing engineering and innovation excellence – Apply technical skill, risk assessment and creativity to each problem placed in front of you.
Leading projects - Actively contribute to the innovation efforts of Design Concepts, addressing client needs and seeking to influence projects to ensure success. Achieve client satisfaction through superior performance, attention to operational detail, engagement, and personal ownership.
Leading a team - Directly manage the San Francisco engineers including wage reviews, performance review, project assignment, direct and indirect mentorship, etc.
Maintaining quality - Tightly integrate your leadership philosophy and efforts with those of the Madison office and the ME department in particular. Ensure that engineering “best practices” are uniformly employed across all projects. Create best practices and suggest or bring in new tools and processes.
Supporting the General Manager -Develop an effective, trust based relationship with the SF General Manager to partition or share management responsibilities as appropriate. Serve as a business development resource on engineering proposal opportunities.
Creating culture - Live the vision of Design Concepts by being inspired and inspiring. Exhibit the core values of Design Concepts by having respect, using common sense and common courtesy, being supportive, being responsible, and being accountable. Be uncommonly creative, have fun, and make Design Concepts a better workplace.
- BSME or MSME (preferred) with a minimum of 8 years proven track record in product development.
- Desire to or experience in mentoring engineers.
- Creative conceptualizer with ability to effectively envision and communicate concepts.
- Proven track record of success in a multidisciplinary, team-based environment including experience working with individuals representing research, industrial design, human factors, electrical engineering, etc.
- Hands-on experience using physical model making and prototyping as a problem solving tool as well as experience and sensitivities for collaborating and working with prototyping specialists
- Proficiency in CAD modeling, including complex assemblies and aesthetic surfacing. SolidWorks proficiency preferred.
- Strong analytical background including structural, thermal, and fluid flow analysis.
- Detail orientated with demonstrated knowledge of creating detailed design documentation including tolerance analysis.
- Experience with variety of high and low volume manufacturing processes and effectively transitioning designs into production.
- Experience in a consulting environment preferred with a proven customer-centric attitude and personality.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills with the ability to thoughtfully articulate and present technical ideas in formal and informal settings.
- Highly motivated self-starter, able to manage multiple priorities.
- Gravitas, humility and a keen sense of humor.