Design Concepts is a product development and innovation firm with 50 years of experience in driving business innovation through the design of products and services that improve people’s lives. Our 60 multi-disciplinary professionals help clients, ranging from Fortune 500 companies to start-ups, grow their business by envisioning new opportunities and then realizing those opportunities as products and services that are exciting and commercially successful.
We are seeking an experienced business development leader to develop and grow client relationships for our San Francisco office. This is a phenomenal opportunity for a highly motivated individual who excels at executing on growth goals by identifying, qualifying, developing and closing the right opportunities.
In this role, you will take charge of the entire sales process and work closely with our leadership team on the following tasks:
- Lead Generation and Qualification: You will proactively research, identify and qualify new leads and look for effective ways to engage with prospective clients. You will drive communications with potential clients to communicate Design Concepts’ process and capabilities. You will be responsible for helping to craft a strategic outlook and ongoing prospect list for targeted conversations and opportunities for engagement.
- Opportunity Framing and Development: You will be instrumental in articulating Design Concepts’ value proposition, and assisting in generating compelling presentations, meetings and proposals. You will work closely with our leadership and project teams on developing the appropriate project scope pricing, timing and coordinate negotiation and closing conversations.
- Relationship Building: Forming deep, meaningful, trust-based, consultative relationships with professionals in the field of innovation and leveraging these to find intersections with Design Concepts’ skill set.
- Client Management: Maintaining an ongoing presence with our clients and our creative teams during projects and serving as both a client and company advocate for issue identification and problem solving. Looking for opportunities to cross-sell or extend our services to other aspects of our clients’ businesses.
- Communication: You will be responsible for improving and maintaining visibility and transparency in our business development process. This involves regular updates on in-process and emerging leads, forecasting and for maintaining momentum in the sales process.
- Business Strategy and Planning: We will look to you to contribute to the development and execution of the business development plan that supports the strategic goals of the firm.
- Networking: You will identify events and affiliations (conferences, trade shows, media channels, meetings, professional organizations, etc.) to create awareness of Design Concepts, to create meaningful connections to potential clients and foster existing client relationships.
The ideal candidate will meet most of the criteria listed below:
- 5 plus years of experience in business development, client and account management for product development firms or other professional consulting firms.
- Strong professional selling and interpersonal relationship skills.
- Track record of developing a new sales territory and proactive lead generation.
- Excellent organization skills including time management, exceptional follow-up, and tracking progress.
- A passion for innovation, technical acumen and direct experience in multidisciplinary consulting services.
- Outstanding communications skills, both oral and written.
- Empathy for client needs and motivations. Strong listening skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate and interface with peers as well as executive level management.
- Bachelor’s degree required; an engineering degree and/or MBA are a plus.
Demonstrates our core values of:
- Self-motivation and enthusiasm
- Building trust
- Providing amazing customer service, internally and externally
- Jumping in to help others
- Handling change with flexibility
- Innovating our processes and services
- Figuring things out and getting it done
- Making Design Concepts a great place to work
Why work at Design Concepts?
- As a growing company, you will have opportunities to make significant contributions to the success and direction of the company.
- You will work with awesome clients on a variety of interesting projects.
- Competitive compensation package including base salary and commission plan.
- Comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental insurance for employee and dependents and 401(k) with profit sharing.
- The ability to work for a highly successful company with a strong corporate culture, working with smart, down-to-earth people and “A” Players, who value a “get it done” attitude as well as a good dose of humor during our work day!
If you share the traits we’ve described and see a match with our culture, we look forward to hearing from you